“Peanut butter has long been the reigning champion of portable, high-protein pre- and post-gym snacks. But sunflower seed butter can give it a run for its money. That’s because each serving of sunflower seed butter has about three grams of protein, a great size for a snack, particularly when paired with carbs! Remember, peanuts are actually legumes! Not nuts nor healthy seeds. Nonetheless, sunflower seed oil, which often includes polyunsaturated oils that have been heated and may go rancid. Albeit, as long as you continue to consume omega-3 foods and keep your consumption of sunflower seed butter low, it can be a good alternative foranyone with a nut or peanut allergy,” according to Dr. Josh Axe.
Key Benefits of Sunflower Seed Butter:
1. High in Protein.
Health benefits of eating more protein foods? Protein ensures your muscles stay strong and your hard work exercising pays off. You feel fuller and more satiated for longer, requiring you to eat less. It also helps your metabolism keep running smoothly to help you lose weight more quickly and provides your cells with the fuel they need to perform their best.
How much protein sunflower seed butter provide? Each serving of sunflower seed butter has about 3 grams of protein.A great pre- and post-gym snacks.
2. Loaded with Vitamin E.
Health benefits of eating vitamin E? It helps naturally balance cholesterol, keeping good and bad levels in check, according to research in the Journal of General Internal Medicine. It is also your body’s favorite antioxidants, which reduces free radical damage to naturally slow aging in our bodies and reduce cell damage — that’s why so many beauty products tout the vitamin E in their ingredients! In addition, it increases immunity, evidenced by research published in Vitamins and Hormones.
How much vitamin E sunflower seed butter provide? Spreading just 1 tbsp of it on your Pumpkin Bread or eating it with fruit provides a whopping 24% of our body’s daily needs!
3. Loaded with Magnesium.
The most important mineral in our bodies is magnesium, yet most people have some form of magnesium deficiency. That can have profound health effects, as magnesium is vital in keeping energy high, relieving muscle spasms, helping things go smoothly in the bathroom and helping us get deep, quality sleep at night.
How much Magnesium sunflower seed butter will provide? Snacking on sunflower seed butter provides about 15% of what your body needs a day — not bad for just 1 tbsp!
4. Full of Healthy Fats.
When you feed your body healthy fats like those found in sunflower seed butter and other seeds, you give it the tools to carry vitamins throughout your body, absorb foods’ nutrients and give your skin a youthful glow. In addition, sunflower seed butter is made up mainly of unsaturated fats, it helps lower cholesterol and reduce inflammation.
1 tbsp of sunflower seed butter has 7.6 grams fat! Most of us have way too many omega-6s, not enough omega-3s, and that can cause inflammation — so I wouldn’t go overboard with sunflower seed butter, and make sure you balance it out with enough omega-3 foods.
5. Highly Unprocessed.
How? You are in control of what’s in the butter, so you can vary things according to your tastes and what you’re using the butter for.
Excerpt from Dr. Josh Axe Blog.
Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter, Extra Creamy
Author: Tessa the Domestic Diva
Total time: 8 mins
Serving: ~2 cups
- 4 cups roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds (you can roast your own by spreading raw seeds on a cookie sheet and baking in a 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes, until the seeds are turning golden and quite fragrant. Don’t shortcut this step. You want them nice a toasty for the lovely flavor!)
- 2-4 tablespoons light tasting oil (I prefer coconut oil or light olive oil). Play this by ear..some batches I add no oil, others I need to add 4 tablespoons, each batch of nuts or seeds and their oil content can be different!
- ¼ teaspoon stevia (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste, or omit entirely…depends on your tastebuds)
- In the bowl of a 14 cup food processor, place the toasted sunflower seeds and process. (If you have a smaller processor, reduce the seeds proportionately. There needs to be enough room for the seeds to move to convert to butter!)
- As mixture goes from a flour like consistency to clumping together (the oil is starting to be released from the heat of the machine and friction), add in 2 tablespoons of light tasting oil. Be patient, this can take a several minutes.
- Continue processing, and as the mixture continues to warm and the oils release, it should turn creamy and smooth and whir happily, easily inside the bowl. If not, it is OK to add a bit more oil until the mixture is runny and whirring smoothly.
- Continue to process for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the stevia (or any low water sweetener), and salt to taste, and process to mix. Your sunflower butter should be ready at this point…but….
- For an extra creamy punch, if you own a high powered blender, pour the mixture while still warm and liquidy into the blender cup and process one to two full cycles. (I have tried making it in my blender alone before and EVERY TIME it seemed like my blender was working WAY too hard to accomplish this, so I found the food processor/blender combo to be my best bet). If you do not have an high powered blender, it is also OK to process several more minutes in your processor for additional creaminess.
Remember, Your Energy Matters! –KayChong
About: Kay Chong is currently an energy-based food, constant jet-lag recovering & healing food researcher,blogger, healthy eating lifestyle strategist, and a community pharmacist. Kay shares healthy, healing & recovering food recipes, energy boosting food recipes for flight attendants who travel frequently across different time zones and combating with constant jet lag health issues every day. Every recipes that Kay choose, she will make sure that all the ingredients in each and every recipes that are being shared here is the best, healthiest, toxin-free and contain the most healing energy in it. Why? Because Kay believes that the REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS are the most powerful DRUG that can CURE and PREVENT ANY CHRONIC DISEASES on earth!
Disclaimer: The techniques, strategies, and suggestions expressed here are intended to be used for educational purposes only.The author, Kay Chong is not rendering medical advice, nor to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. It is imperative that before beginning any nutrition program you receive full medical clearance from a licensed physician. Kay Chong claim no responsibility to any person or entity for any liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly as a result of the use, application, or interpretation of the material presented here.