Not to mention the options the airlines offer. Flight attendants working in the sky for at least an 8-10 hour travel day (or worse 16 to 20!) without food is really not a predicament you want to be in. Sometimes, it is really inconvenient or realistic to prep food most the duty week. Especially when you’re trying to pack your suitcase that need to be tied up before leaving for a trip.
Thankfully, there are tons of new products that are making their way onto the market that fit within healthy real food guidelines. While they are not cheap, real food never is, they are a fantastic alternative to keep in your pantry for those special occasions when you’re out of time and need something on the run, according to Danielle Walker, the author and photographer of the New York Times Best Selling cookbook Against all Grain.
While some airports are fortunate and offer good food, Danielle has been in her fair share of them that literally have nothing to offer for a person with food allergies or even someone trying to eat healthy.
Below are my collection of 2 great ideas on what to and how to pack for your travel schedule next time!
Healthy Snack On Plane #1
Here’s Cathy Russell‘s Healthy Superfood Trail Mix Recipe.
Putting a jar of this trail mix recipe together wouldn’t be inexpensive, and you have the flexibility of adding a variety of ingredients you like. Add nuts or leave them out for school-safe snacking, says Cathy Russell, a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Graphic Designer, as well as the Content Manager at NaturallySavvy.com.
Superfood Trail Mix Recipe
Author: Cathy Russell
Serving: 2 3/4 cups
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (toast your own with a pinch of salt) or use a combination of your favorite nuts and/or seeds
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup flaked toasted coconut-use the large flakes (buy toasted or make your own)
- 1/2 cup unsulphured goji berries, cranberries, golden berries, mulberries or a combination
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup chunks of raw chocolate or good quality chocolate chips
- optional: add some home made granola clusters and/or a pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place seeds (or nuts of choice) on the sheet with a pinch of salt and toast for 6 to 7 minutes or until the pumpkin seeds begin to pop – do this only if you are using raw pumpkin seeds.
- Remove from oven and place in a large bowl to cool. Using the same baking sheet, toast coconut for approximately 3 to 4 minutes (or use already toasted).
- Add to seed mixture and then stir in dried berries of choice and any optional ingredients. Add pieces of raw chocolate or chocolate chips, when the mixture has completely cooled.
Healthy Snack On Plane #2
Here’s what’s in Danielle Walker‘s Traveling Suitcase.
Danielle’s Snacking choices:
- Steve’s Paleo Kits – this is the beef jerky and berry combo which I’m not overly thrilled about, but I do love the grass-fed beef jerky on it’s own. You can purchase it through their website here.
- Made in Nature Dried Mango – I buy the bulk bags of this at Costco when they carry it because Asher loves it so much, but these smaller bags are great for traveling. Buy it here on Amazon or check your Costco for the bulk bag.
- Chocolate Berry Granola – this is my recipe! I made a huge batch a few days before we left and plan to snack on it or eat it with some almond milk for breakfast if I’m on the run. Find the recipe here.
- Rx Bars – I first tried these last year when I was in Chicago, where this company is based. While I am not usually one to eat protein bars or use protein shakes, these are really nice to keep in my purse as a meal replacement. My only wish is that that the sugar content wasn’t so high, even though it does come from figs or dates. I also wish they still had their zip-top packaging because I usually only eat half at a time and love to save it. My favorites are the Blueberry and the Coconut Cacao. I have not yet seen them offered in stores, but you can order them online here.
- Dry Roasted Cashews – When I have time, I like to soak and dehydrate my own nuts to reduce the phytic acid. I also love to make the trail mix from my first book Against all Grain to take with us on trips. But the organic dry roasted cashews from Trader Joe’s are my fall-back because they taste great, are affordable, and don’t use any seed oils.
- Jackson’s Honest Sweet Potato Chips – These chips are cooked in coconut oil and sea salt and are such a great treat. Plus I love that it’s a family owned business and they have a great story. Sadly we don’t have them at our local grocery stores, but you can see where they’re sold here or order them here on Amazon!
- Veggie-Go’s fruit strips – the mountain berry spinach flavor is my favorite, but the spiced sweet potato one is really good too! There’s no added sugar or citric acid which I love and feel better about giving them to Asher. I often buy them at Whole Foods, but you can order them online as well.
- Chocolate Snakaroons – Chocolate coconut macaroons are one of my favorite treats, and I think they’re perfect for traveling when you just need a little bite of chocolate. I find that they’re easier to not over indulge in too (give me a bag of my real deal chocolate chip cookies and I’ll eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!). Find them at most health food stores or online here.
Courtesy from Danielle Walker‘s blog. For more traveling healthy grain-free food snack packing ideas, click here.
About:Kay Chong is currently an energy-based food, constant jet-lag recovering & healing food researcher,blogger, healthy eating lifestyle strategist, and a community pharmacist. Kay shares healthy, healing & recovering food recipes, energy boosting food recipes for flight attendants who travel frequently across different time zones and combating with constant jet lag health issues every day. Every recipes that Kay choose, she will make sure that all the ingredients in each and every recipes that are being shared here is the best, healthiest, toxin-free and contain the most healing energy in it. Why? Because Kay believes that the REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS are the most powerful DRUG that can CURE and PREVENT ANY CHRONIC DISEASES on earth!