Do you ever suffer from dry, flaky skin after a long hours flight? Do you ever wonder is there any other alternative way to help to maintain your skin soft and supple even during your frequent long hours flights, besides moisturizing creams and natural oils? The answer is yes, there is one superb idea to keep your skin supple all the time…
Cooking with bones. What? Yes, I am talking about drinking or bringing your own homemade #bonebroth to plane! You need this especially flight attendants! And yes, your grandmother’s soup isn’t just a hoax.
Why? Most of bone broth’s benefits come from the bone’s protein, mainly collagens which becomes gelatin when cooked, which will then promotes:
- Strong bones i.e. helps prevent osteoporosis and arthritis (as it contains minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, chondroitin sulfate, sulfur-found in MSM too, potassium, and sodium)
- Clear, healthy skin & promotes healthy hair & nails (as it contains bone marrow, collagen & gelatin, glycine, proline-precursor for the collagen formation, hyaluronic acid)
- Improved digestion (as it is easily digestible, helps heal the lining of your gut)
- Immune health, flight attendants need a strong immune system to ward off illness (a study published over a decade ago found that bone broth has medicinal qualities, significantly mitigating infection)
And here is how you can prep it.
Flight Attendant’s CrockPot Bone Broth Recipe
Servings: Depends on how much you like to drink and portion it & separate freezing it according
Suggestion: Pre-cook a big pot of bone broth during your day offs and freeze the extra servings for later use.
- 1-2 lbs organic animal bones (you may use grass-fed beef, duck, bison, free-range chicken etc. Ask your local butcher for some bones if you don’t have any leftover)
- 2 organic celery stalks, chopped in half
- 1 large organic carrot, chopped into chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped in half
- 9-10 cups filtered water (or enough to cover bones)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- +/-2tbsp Bragg’s raw apple cider vinegar (vinegar helps leech all those valuable minerals from the bones into the stockpot water, which is ultimately what you’ll be eating)
- Supplies: Cheesecloth, Cooking twine, Mesh Strainer and a 4-6 quart slow cooker*
- Place vegetables in a double layer of cheese cloth and secure in a bundle with the cooking twine (see image below)
- Put bones and vegetables into the slow cooker and top with water until covered.
- Cook in LOW for 24 hours (you can leave for slightly longer or less).
- After an hour or so, skim any “gunk” that is floating on the top. Organic/cleaner meat will yield much less of this.
- Remove top and let cool slightly.
- Place strainer over a bowl and ladle broth into strainer to separate bones and vegetable bundle from the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Enjoy 1 portion (about 500mL)!To store:Freeze half and keep the other half for your daily dose. It keeps in the fridge for about a week and in the freezer for several months. If freezing, remove from freezer several hours before using to thaw. The layer of fat that will develop on top or leave it on. Stir it in (it’s good fat!) before heating up in the oven.
You can use it as salad dressings too!
LOOKING FOR MORE?
If you want more anti-inflammatory, sustainable energy-generating foods recipes like this one, or you want to get on track to a healthier eating lifestyle to take any confusion out of the equation, follow my blog!
Remember, Your Energy Matters! –KayChong
About: Kay Chong is currently an energy-based food, constant jet-lag recovering & healing food researcher,blogger, healthy eating lifestyle strategist, and a community pharmacist. Kay shares healthy, healing & recovering food recipes, energy boosting food recipes for flight attendants who travel frequently across different time zones and combating with constant jet lag health issues every day. Every recipes that Kay choose, she will make sure that all the ingredients in each and every recipes that are being shared here is the best, healthiest, toxin-free and contain the most healing energy in it. Why? Because Kay believes that the REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS are the most powerful DRUG that can CURE and PREVENT ANY CHRONIC DISEASES on earth!
Disclaimer: The techniques, strategies, and suggestions expressed here are intended to be used for educational purposes only.The author, Kay Chong is not rendering medical advice, nor to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. It is imperative that before beginning any nutrition program you receive full medical clearance from a licensed physician. Kay Chong claim no responsibility to any person or entity for any liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly as a result of the use, application, or interpretation of the material presented here.